Anterior Hip Replacement
What Is Anterior Hip Replacement Surgery?
Direct Anterior Approach to Total Hip Replacement (Arthroplasty)
The Direct Anterior Approach for total hip replacement is a tissue-sparing alternative to traditional hip replacement surgery that provides improvements for the patient:
- the potential for less post-operative pain
- potential for less blood loss
- decreased hospital stay and quicker recovery
- less anesthesia and complications due to prolonged anesthesia use
- improved mobility because the muscle tissues are spared during the surgical procedure
- range of motion assessment during surgical procedure
- The technique allows your surgeon to work between the patient‘s muscles and tissues without detaching them from either the hip or thighbones—sparing the tissue from trauma. Keeping the muscles intact may also help to prevent dislocations.
With the Anterior Approach, your orthopedic surgeon uses one small incision on the front (anterior) of your hip as opposed to the side or back.
Since the incision is in front, the patient avoids the pain of sitting on the incision site.
Our team is here for you
We offer the best, least invasive and least aggressive options to relieve your pain and symptoms so you can get back to the life you love. Atlantic Orthopaedic Specialists Joint Replacement Care Center has convenient locations in Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Chesapeake.